Simplified Factsheet About Drinking Alkaline Water
Lately, there has been a lot of buzz about alkaline water. A lot of celebs, including Miranda Kerr, have promoted the health perks, but what’s the noise all about? In this particular post, we will decode the basics of the concept and how you can choose to make the most of it.
1. Every substance is either acidic or alkaline, and it is measured on the pH scale. Anything with a pH of 7 or more is considered to be alkaline in nature. It is believed the high pH of the foods and beverages we drink can help in neutralizing acid levels in the body, offering a wide range of benefits. Alkaline water and its benefits also come from similar grounds.
2. The whole concept of high pH water started with the alkaline diet, which propagates a healthy way of living, cutting down meat and dairy from the diet. Of course, most people found the idea tough for daily food requirements, and hence, to gain the benefits and see results, they started switching to high pH water. Followers of the diet believe that alkaline water is as good enough to reap limited benefits of the diet.
3. High quality alkaline water has a pH level of 8 or more. Naturally, the water around streams and waterfalls are known to have better pH, owing to the presence of mineral-containing rocks. However, since most people won’t have access to fresh spring water, people now use packaged water, which is manufactured artificially.
4. The benefits related to the concept are many. Right from the positive impact on acid reflux to other aspects, such as detoxification and relief from joint pain, many users have claimed great things. It is also believed that alkaline water can impact the metabolism of the body and help people dealing with weight loss concerns. It can also contribute to regulating the blood sugar levels, which is an added advantage for diabetic patients.
5. The research and studies related to alkaline water are pretty limited, but the general results are known to be positive. The benefits often depend on person to person, but most of the regular customers have claimed significant outcomes. Apart from the pros and pluses mentioned above, alkaline water is also known to be great for the skin and ensures better hydration. Some of the leading brands are now adding essential minerals, vitamins and electrolytes for better benefits for the human body.
What Else to Know?
There are no major known side effects of alkaline water, as of now, and therefore, if you are considering a switch from regular tap water to bottled options with better pH, you are probably on the right track. However, it is a good idea to do your research and start reading in detail. A lot of published articles in different science and health magazines have talked about the great benefits of alkaline water, which clearly is a good indicator. When you choose between brands, it is a good idea to read in between the labels and check the added nutrients.